Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Jeff Bell's Six Trapdoors of OCD/Anxiety
1. Checking: physically searching for verification that some feared consequences did not, or will not, happen.
2. Reassurance-seeking: asking for the assurances of others that some feared consequences did not, or will not happen.
3. Ruminating: mentally replaying events, conversations, and other sequences in search of verification that some feared consequence did not, or will not, happen.
4. Protecting: performing rituals (such as repeating patterns) and acting in unproductive ways for the sole purpose of warding off feared consequences.
5. Fixing: performing rituals (often relating to symmetry) for the sole purpose of making things "feel" right
6. Avoiding: deliberately avoiding events that trigger anxiety; this can be thought of as the ultimate compulsion.