Thursday, February 21, 2013

Remembering the Magnificent Marvin (1924-2009)


You can already see the rigid, mask-like countenance caused by PD on dad's face in this newspaper photo portrait.


It's hard to believe that it's been four years since my dad, Alaskan artist and arctic geologist, Marvin Mangus, passed away from complications from his Parkinson's Disease.






Since then, my mother has let me know in no uncertain terms that she  doesn't like it at all when I post dad's paintings on the internet, because of  copyright protection concerns. I don't entirely agree with this internet ban philosophy, but hey, it's my mom -- so I don't. What a good son, right? What I do instead, as a legitimate work-around, is grab images already posted on the web by others. This small painting is showcased on the  2 friends a most unusual gallery blog/website, with this caption.

September 29, 2012
"We received an absolutely beautiful Marvin Mangus painting yesterday. It is already hanging on the wall with two new Henne’s (note from Don: Ellen Henne Goodale, a family friend), a Robertson, and a Scott McDaniel. You will feel like you are in a museum but you can actually buy the art."

Here's a plug for the 2 friends:

  • Gallery Hours and Contact Info
  • Tuesday - Friday: 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Saturday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Sunday: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
    Closed Monday
  • 341 E. Benson Blvd., Anchorage, AK, 99503
  • (907) 277-0404
  • 2friendsgallery@gmail.com
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment