Thursday, January 10, 2019

Portraits of Don Mangus













Here are some portraits of the Mighty Mang created by some of my talented friends at SMU. A quick compressed charcoal drawing by Brian Cobble done in Roger Winter's Advanced Drawing class; Don Shields and I painted portraits of each other at his parent's fab MCM house in Oak Cliff. I had some great times at that place; a David Bates ebony pencil drawing, done while I was working at the Downtown Dallas Public Library. I worked first at the old building and then moved over to the new facility; Brian Cobble painted a faux-religious multi-panel piece (7 panels) based on an "art happening" where we took a David Bates life-sized paper-mache sculpture of "Salvador Dali" out to the Texas badlands and "executed" it with shotguns. Mark Bane also made a Super-8 movie of the atrocity. Naturally, a lot of beer was involved. "No Country for Old Art."



No comments:

Post a Comment