Saturday, July 28, 2018

Charles Loloma: His Name Means "Beauty"

Charles Loloma



Charles Loloma



Charles Loloma



Charles Loloma


Gold and pearls -- works for me!

Charles Loloma maintained a deep reverence for Hopi beliefs and the ceremonies. He lived by the Hopi calendar, its cycles of birth, death, and regeneration. In Autumn, the fields behind his studio were filled with ripening squash and melon, and on the crest behind it, he was found with relatives roasting corn to provide for the winter ahead. 

There is a seeming disparity between this way of life and the sophisticated world in which he moved. His answer to this was -- “We are a very serious people and have tried hard to elevate ourselves, but in order to create valid art, you have to be true to yourself and your heritage”. He also said: -- “I felt a strong kinship to stones, not just the precious and semi-precious stones I use in my jewelry, but the humble stones I pick up at random while on a hike through the hills or a walk along the beach. I feel the stone and think, not to conquer it, but to help it express itself."



No comments:

Post a Comment