Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Frank Lloyd Wright: Obsessed Japanese Print Collector

Frank Lloyd Wright



Frank Lloyd Wright



Frank Lloyd Wright


Some years ago, I bought a tall stack of vintage Frank Lloyd Wright Quarterly magazines for a dollar a throw. I almost deaccessioned them several times earlier, but given my current FLW obsession, I'm glad I still have them to read. 

Speaking of obsessions and collecting, an article in this issue states that FLW bought an estimated 13,000+ Japanese prints (not to mention the additional Asian Art screens, sculptures, ceramics, fabrics, etc.) during his lifetime. He would sell them during the times when money was tight and advised his wife to do the same, after he died. I don't feel nearly so sheepish about my comic book collecting years now...

"...His personal collection was a mixed bag, ranging from the marvelous to the spurious..."



No comments:

Post a Comment