Monday, July 30, 2012

DVD: The Mentalist

I may have mentioned before that I don't watch broadcat TV or cable. I limit myself to DVDs and Netflix rentals (the two-a-month plan). This is how I end up "behind the curve" on TV series and movies. While in the big box discount store, I spied a show that I'd never seen, and it seemed like something I might enjoy. Since it was listed at such a reasonable retail price, I took a flyer, and bought a season for a trial run. It turns out, I enjoy the series very much, and so I shelled out for two more seasons. The cast is very attractive, and I enjoy the characters as written. I'm sure many of you know about it already, but in case you don't, give it a go.






After a prolific serial killer named Red John kills his wife and daughter, Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) gives up his prosperous life as a phony psychic and uses his staggering powers of observation to aid the California Bureau of Investigation. Although Jane's eccentric methods annoy skeptical agent Teresa Lisbon (Robin Tunney), they get results, enabling Lisbon's team to apprehend even the most cunning and cold-blooded of criminals.

Simon Baker (in his first Emmy-nominated role) stars as Patrick Jane, a rogue detective and case-cracking consultant for the California Bureau of Investigation -- a far cry from his last gig as a semi-famous "psychic medium" with no paranormal abilities. Despite his bogus past, Patrick's charm and powers of observation endear him to the CBI team -- except for Senior Agent Teresa Lisbon (Robin Tunney), who doesn't care for his antics. Tim Kang and Amanda Righetti also star.

No comments:

Post a Comment